Unemployment Insurance fraud continues to increase during COVID-19. The Lakeville Police Department has taken several reports of fraudulent unemployment claims. This scam has become increasingly popular across Massachusetts. Criminal enterprises in possession of stolen personal information have been attempting to file large amounts of illegitimate unemployment claims through the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) system. Residents have been receiving letters from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance informing them that their claim has been accepted when they have not filed for any benefits. If you or someone you know received this letter, please take the following steps. (click the blue links)
- Notify your employer
- File an online unemployment fraud reporting form OR contact DUA Customer Service at 877-626-6800
- Report Identity Theft with the Federal Trade Commission and receive assistance with a recovery plan. The FTC has also launched a new fraud reporting portal.
- Place a fraud alert on your credit file.
- Request credit reports online and dispute any fraudulent transactions.
- If you wish to freeze on your credit, you may notify the consumer reporting agencies.
Please contact us at 508-866-2000 if you require further assistance or wish to file a police report.